1. Tavern in the Middle of Nowhere – Great place to hear rumors and do a little carousing, but the tavern keep always has some sort of scheme up his sleeve and/or caters towards inhuman folk.
2. Madman – Some sort of naked, crazed hermit or drunken disposed noble.
3. Strange Ruin – Usually of Roman, Egyptian, or Babylonian construction.
4. Wizard’s Mance – A teetering tower, underground grotto, floating castle, walking house, or just a plain old hut.
5. Knight Errant – Off a tourney, questing for relics, preparing for war, maybe even exiled by his ex-lord.
6. Religious Pilgrims – pious monks, dangerous cultists, drunken nature worshipers, naive lawful types. Usually led by a spell-casting cleric.
7. Rural Village – Indigenous raiders, cursed peasants, religious zealots, disguised fey.
8. Ancient Statue – Celtic god, Greek hero, magical beast, usually possessing some sort of magical power.
9. Magical Pool – Predicting the future, granting wishes, teleportation, transformation, or healing.
10. Fey – Remember, they’ve always got a tricky plan or two up their sleeves to cause mayhem and chaos.
11. Castle – A lone castle in the middle of the wilderness.
12. Magical Valley - Of talking animals, addictive fruits, vines that come to life after nightfall.
13. Legendary Beast – Unique beasts of wonder and legend, giant snakes with the legs of a wolf and forked tongue of a devil or massive scarab beetle with dripper purple pincers and poison that kills by dehydration.
14. Normal Animals – Wolves, bears, boars, wild game.
15. Cave – May house wild animals, buried treasure, portal to the Overworld, hell, or another planet.
16. Brigands – Bandits, raiders, berserkers, impersonators, just ready to strip the PCs of more than their earthly goods.
17. Lonesome Institution - Invisible school of sorcery, isolated monastery, or headquarters of some demonic cult.
18. Merchant Caravan – Greedy merchants with armed guards, but the booty is usually worth an adventure’s while.
19. Lost Travelers – Damsel is distress, kidnaped children
20. Blatant Anachronism – Cavemen, metal diving suit, crashed spaceship, time travelers.
I've been working on something like this, this afternoon. I hope you don't mind if I scrape a few ideas from it. Good stuff Ian.ReplyDelete
By all means, go ahead.ReplyDelete